Most of us have had apple pie. Well, this isn’t it :). This is Apple Crisp. It’s so so simple to make and it’s quick, too. It’s really just a few ingredients. I used to have a roommate who would get so excited when she found the exact ingredients in the house (plus the pie tin or casserole dish). I also made this for a bake sale. Glad I made two!! It was gone so quickly I almost didn’t get a slice.
This is great with ice cream, whipped cream, or even my pudding cream filling. If you REALLY want to go “all-American”, try it with a couple ounces of sharp cheddar cheese. No promises on that last one, though!
What you’ll need
- 3-4 green apples, peeled, cored, sliced into wedges (Note: You can also use pre-sliced/peeled apples or even apple pie filling)
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup uncooked oatmeal
- 2-3 tbs white sugar
- 2-3 tbs of cinnamon
- 2-3 shakes ground cinnamon (Note: I don’t actually know what this would be in a measurement, but it’s probably 1-2 teaspoons. But this all depends on your taste.)
- 1/2 cup COLD butter (it needs to be cold).
- Baking or casserole dish. I use 2 round 8×8 foil tins, easy clean-up.
What to do
- Pre-heat the oven to 350° F
- Toss the apples, white sugar, and cinnamon together well.
- Cover the bottom of the dish with the apples.
- Mix the flour, oatmeal, and the 1-2 teaspoons of cinnamon together. Mix it well.
- Use two forks or a pastry cutter to cut the butter into the oatmeal/flour
- Mix the butter, oatmeal, and flour mixture until it is kind of crumbly
- Spread the oatmeal over the apples as evenly as possible
- Bake until the apples are bubbly and the crust on top is brown (length of time will depend on the pan used and whether you used fresh apples or apple pie filling).